Pathophysiology of Traumatic Brain Injury
My laboratory uses a variety of pharmacological, surgical, neuroanatomical, and behavioral methods to investigate the neural mechanisms involved in traumatic brain injury pathology. A major research effort examines excitotoxic cascades affecting cell survival and behavior. The ultimate goal of my research program is to develop novel therapeutic strategies targeted at reducing the debilitating consequences of traumatic brain injury. Pre-clinical testing of novel therapeutic strategies and compounds are routinely performed in my laboratory. Previous efforts have led to ongoing clinical trials evaluating hypothermia and glutamate receptor antagonists as therapeutic interventions for traumatic brain injury patients.
- Feng J-F, Liu J, Zhang L, Jiang J-Y, Russell M, Lyeth BG, Nolta JA, Zhao M. Electrical Guidance of Human Stem Cells in the Rat Brain. Stem Cell Reports 9(1):177-189, 2017.
- Lyeth BG. Historical review of the fluid-percussion TBI model. Frontiers in Neurology 7, 217, 2016 DOI 10.3389/fneur.2016.00217
- Abdul-Wahab R, Neuberger EJ, Lyeth BG, Santhakumar V, Pfister BJ. Fluid Percussion Injury Device for the Precise Control of Injury Parameters. J Neuroscience Methods 248:16-26, 2015.
- Huang X-J, Glushakova O, Mondello S, Van K, Hayes RL, Lyeth BG. Acute Temporal Profiles of serum levels of UCH-L1 and GFAP and Relationships to Neuronal and Astroglial Pathology Following Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats. J Neurotrauma 32(16):1179-1189, 2015.
- Wang T, Huang X-J, Van KC, Went G, Nguyen J, Lyeth BG. Amantadine improves cognitive outcome and increases neuronal survival after fluid percussion traumatic brain injury in rats. J Neurotrauma 31: 370-377, 2014.
- Liu D-Z, Sharp FR, Van KC, Ander BP, Ghiasvand R, Zhan X, Stamova B, Jickling GC, Lyeth BG. Inhibition of Src Family Kinases Protects Hippocampal Neurons and Improves Cognitive Function after Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma 31:1268-1276, 2014.
- Russell M, Goodman T, Wang Q, Groshong B, Lyeth BG. Gender differences in current stimulation during transcranial electrical stimulation. Frontiers in Psychiatry 5(article 104):1-7, 2014.
- Wang T, Van KC, Gavitt B, Grayson K, Lu Y-C, Lyeth BG, Pichakron K. Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation in a Rat Model of Multiple Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience 31(5): 647-659, 2013.
- Feng J-F, Zhao X-R, Van KC, Shahlaie K, Gurkoff GG, Lyeth BG. Posttraumatic hypoxia exacerbates neuronal cell death in the hippocampus. J Neurotrauma 29(4):1167-1179, 2012.
- Feng J-F, Gurkoff GG, Van KC, Song M, Lowe DA, Zhou J, Lyeth BG. NAAG peptidase inhibitor reduces cellular damage in a model of TBI with secondary hypoxia. Brain Research 1469:144-152, 2012
Department of Neurological Surgery
Center for Neuroscience
Pharmacology and Toxicology