Systems neuroscience’s major goal is to understand how neuronal circuits function to produce sensation, emotion, action, and other complex behaviors. Questions addressed by systems neuroscience investigators include:
- How do we see, hear, feel, move, and make decisions?
- How do neurons encode sensory information and how is that information decoded?
- How can we keep track of a single voice in the complex environment of a noisy cocktail party?
- How do we navigate through a complex environment?
- What is the functional organization of neuronal connections that give rise to the emergent properties of the functioning nervous system?
- How do different brain areas communicate with each other?