Skip directly to: Navigation for this section | Main page content

Center for Neuroscience - Health and Safety


Information for Principal Investigators

Helpful Links

Setting up a lab requires many steps, and a robust safety program is critical. The steps below offer some guidance.

  • Safety Net #131, Safety Program Guidelines for Principal Investigators, contains a summary of elements needed for a lab safety program.
  • If research will involve animal use, consult Safety Net #116, Principal Investigator's Training Responsibilities For Animal Care and Use, for details.
  • If research will involve lasers, consult Safety Net #74, The Principal Investigator's Laser Safety Training Responsibilities, for details.
  • In order to be prepared for BUA Laboratory Audits, please visit the link Laboratory Audit Guidance for pertinant information.

Health And Safety Training Required for Your Staff

Each individual working in your lab is required to be trained in safety for the tasks that he/she performs regardless if that individual is a student, volunteer or staff member.

For general safety training, see the CNS Health and Safety Program. Follow the instructions on the page. For lab specific training, refer to the Individual Training Record. This Word document can be customized to suit your training needs. This form also serves as a written training record. To avoid being fined, you must have a complete training record for each individual in your lab.

Pregnancy in the Workplace


Training Records

Your EH&S training records are now available online. Records for ACU 101, Chemical Safety Training, and other EH&S classes are available online - just enter your kerberos log in and you can download and print your safety training records.

Use Authorizations

UC Davis requires that PI's obtain use authorizations for certain biological agents, and radiation/radioactive isotopes. The use authorization lets EH&S know the types and locations of hazards in your lab.

Biological Use Authorization (BUA):

Biological agents that require a BUA are generally harmful to humans, other animals, or the environment. You must submit an application to obtain a BUA.

BUA Application

Radiation Use Authorization (RUA):

If you intend to use radioisotopes in your lab, you must apply for a Radiation Use Authorization.

RUA Application

Dangerous Goods Shipping

Personnel who ship dangerous goods in your lab must be properly trained. Some dangerous goods include but are not limited to:

Dry ice

Genetically modified organisms or micro-organisms

Infectious Substances

For more information on shipping Dangerous Goods, contact the Safety Manager.


Research labs with chemicals in excess of certain quantities are required to report those chemicals in the CIS/CUPA annual report (normally by mid-January for the previous year). For more information, visit the CIS-Chemical Inventory System Page.

Animal Use in Research

In order to work with vertebrate animals in your lab, you will need to submit an Animal Care and Use Protocol. In addition, each person working with animals in your lab must complete Animal Care and Use 101 in order to be added to your protocol roster.

Animal Care and Use Protocol Submission

Animal Care and Use 101

For more information on utilizing animals in research, visit the IACUC web page.

Human Subjects in Research

IRB Administration