Occupational Health and Safety
You must enroll in the Occupational Health Surveillance System prior to working with animals, biohazards, or human tissue.
- Your supervisor will initiate the Risk Assessment and Health Surveillance Questionnaire Note: This must be done for everyone who has direct or indirect contact with animals.
- This Risk Assessment will need to be updated each time your medical assessment is renewed, and the frequency of renewing your RA is determined by Occupational Health.
- Note: Volunteers must have a Kerberos login to access the system. To obtain a Kerberos login under Temporary Affiliate Form (TAF), have your supervisor initiate the steps here.
- The participant reviews the RA and accepts or rejects, if changes are needed.
- After accepting RA, participant fills out the confidential Health Questionnaire (HQ) and submits for review by health professional.
- Health Professional reviews the participant's RA and HQ and sends them a medical assessment for review.
- Individual logs into OHSS and reviews/acknowledges the medical assessment. If there are questions from the health professional on either the HQ or RA, a response from the participant will be needed to complete the process.
- The IACUC system receives a nightly feed from the OHSS, and requires that steps listed above are completed before you can be added to an animal care protocol.
For individuals working with non-human primates, unfixed primate tissue, or unfixed human tissue:
Print and fill out the Request for Services form and complete the additional steps below:
- For individuals working at the Center for Neuroscience, check this box and list any additional details in the section.
- For individuals working with primates or unfixed primate tissue, check the box "Entry into Facility Includes" then add Primate Clearance.
- For indivduals working with human tissue, add "Hepatitis "B" Series," and check the box "Entry into Facility Includes."
- Fax the completed Request to Occupational Health Services at (530) 752-5277.
- Call Occupational Health Services at (530) 752-6051 to schedule an appointment.
- Go to the scheduled appointment; obtain the "Primate Clearance" form if applicable.
- Give a copy of the Primate Clearance form to the Safety Coordinator and the Lab Manager.