Vivarium Access Steps
Here are the necessary steps to obtain building access for the Center for Neuroscience:
- Visit the Health and Safety Program page and complete the steps.
- Sign the form, have the PI sign the form and provide appropriate access information.
- Provide the completed form to the Safety Manager and retain a copy for the lab's safety records.
- The background check is required for everyone (new requirement).
- Information on the background check is available at this link.
- Please click here to download the form.
- Forms for volunteers and unpaid students:
- Schedule an appointment with the Safety Manager. Bring all the forms listed above to your appointment.
Animal Use and Care 101 Training
- Please sign up for ACU 101 and make sure to be added to AUC protocol before scheduling vivarium training (Instructor led training) and orientation training.
SOM Vivarium Training (Instructor Led Training) and Orientation Training
- Schedule your ILT SOM Vivarium Training (1.5 hour in person class) at LMS link and enter "Vivarium" into search and sign up for the appropriate "SOM Vivarium Training" class.
- Bring the Vivarium Orientation Checklist form to your appointment. The checklist gives you the contact information.
Deliver Completed Forms
- Give the completed certificate of attendance from the SOM Vivarium Training, the Vivarium Orientation Checklist and the Vivarium Agreement (on backside of the Orientation form) to the CNS Safety Manager. Completed forms may also be left in the CNS Safety Manager's mailbox.
- The CNS Safety Manager will verify the information on the form, add vivarium access, and provide a key, if necessary.
- Note: You must be listed on an approved Animal Care and Use Protocol prior to gaining vivarium access. If you are not listed on an approved Animal Care and Use Protocol, access will NOT be granted and the forms will be returned or discarded.
Note: Additional steps are required for primate-related access. See Working With Animals for more information.